Skip to main content

English as an Additional Language Registration

Our Goals:Welcome Wordle.jpg

  • To make the first contact with Brandon School Division warm  and welcoming for English as an Additional Language (EAL) students and their families; 
  • To decrease wait time for EAL students to begin school; and
  • To support teachers by providing thorough assessment reports for EAL students.

English as Additional Language Support:
If your child does not speak English as his/her first language, or if English is their first language, but it is influenced by another dialect, please contact your neighbourhood school to make an appointment to register your child with the assistance of an EAL Teacher and interpreter.

Click Here For All Of Our School Contact Information WIS%20Horizontal%20Colour.jpg

During your registration appointment, a basic English and math assessment will be completed. These are NOT tests and there is not a pass or fail. The assessments are strictly done to provide programming information for your child's teacher(s). If the child is registering for Kindergarten, a first language assessment can be completed in both Spanish and Mandarin.  

During this appointment, you will complete the registration documents and an EAL student profile. The EAL student profile provides us with information about your child's educational background, in order to provide the appropriate programming. It is common for students who do not speak English as their first language to need additional English support at school.

After the completion of the registration documents and an EAL Student Profile, you and your child will have the opportunity to complete an orientation of the school, and will be provided with information specifically related to your child's school.  This information should include:  transportation (if applicable), lunch program, school start/end times and your child's school start date.  

Required Registration Documents:

Please ensure that you bring the following documents with you to your registration appointment:

  • Student's Permanent Residence Card or Landing Form; OR Parent's Study/Work Visa
  • Student's Passport
  • Student's Birth Certificate
  • Previous report Card/Transcript (if available)
  • Proof of Address (utility bill, Manitoba Health Card or Rental Agreement)
  • Manitoba Health Card (if available)
  • Pertinent Medical Records (if applicable)


Back to top