Kindergarten Resources for Parents & Guardians
Entering Kindergarten is an exciting and emotional time for both parent and child. It is also a critical step in the child's education. When children reach Kindergarten their teacher will help them focus on the development of early literacy and numeracy skills, decision-making skills, creativity, communication skills, independence and feelings of self-worth.
There will be all kinds of interesting and creative activities; from painting to story time, counting, cultural expression, physical education and more, children will be engaged in structured learning for the development of themselves as a student and as a person.
Each year, an introductory 'A-B-C You in Kindergarten' event is held at every school. Most schools hold their event in May or June and a few schools have their event in September. Once you have registered your child for Kindergarten, the school will send you an invitation to attend their event. Click here to review the A-B-C You in Kindergarten dates for the 2023-2024 School Year
In addition to the scheduled events, each registered student will receive a new Kindergarten Learning Bag, which includes general information related to kindergarten programming, activities, and materials to support literacy and numeracy skills.
Also included in our new Welcome to Kindergarten Learning Bags is a copy of the book “Chicka Chicka Boom Boom”. Check out the video with a special read-a-loud version of the book from our Kindergarten Teachers.
Please click here to view the Kindergarten Registration in BSD (2023-2024) PDF presentation.
If you have questions regarding your child's registration, please contact your catchment area school, or send us an email: email@example.com, and one of our staff will get back to you.
Information & Community Resources:
Manitoba Child & Youth Programs
- Child and Youth Programs | Province of Manitoba (gov.mb.ca)
- Publications & Resources (gov.mb.ca)
- Early Childhood Development (gov.mb.ca)
- Programs, Supports & Strategies (gov.mb.ca)
- Manitoba Healthy Schools (gov.mb.ca)
- Getting Ready for School – A Parent’s Guide (Healthy Child Manitoba)
- EDI: Turning Data Into Action | Province of Manitoba
- Healthy Food in Schools | Manitoba Healthy Schools (gov.mb.ca)
Learning Links (Selected by our Kindergarten Teachers)
- ABCya! | Learning Games and Apps for Kids
- KidsTV123.com | Music, Games, Alphabet & Phonics Worksheets
- Starfall Education | Kids Games, Movies, & Books K-3
- Teach Your Monster | Free Phonics, Reading and Mathematics Games
- 19 Hand-Eye Coordination Activities for Kids | Empowered Parents
- List of Sensory Play Activities & Ideas | Learning 4 Kids
- Tumblebooks | Read Watch Learn!
- Reading Games | PBS KIDS
- Games, Videos, and Books for Kids | Funbrain
- Community Contacts (economicdevelopmentbrandon.com)
- City of Brandon - Parks & Recreation
- City of Brandon - Recreation Programs
- City of Brandon - Sportsplex