In 1916, a three room frame school was built between 2nd and 3rd Street and Brandon Avenue (present George Fitton site). It was called the McLaren School to honor Major James McLaren, a highly respected physical education instructor. He lost his life in the First World War. The school operated until 1926. It was then moved to the exhibition grounds where it still stands with only a few structural changes.
During 1926, the next McLaren School was built at 1031 Sixth Street.