August 28, 2018
On behalf of our Senior Administration and Board of Trustees, I would like to welcome back all of our students, parents, staff and community volunteers and partners to the beginning of the 2018-2019 school year.
For many of you, you are returning from a busy summer which I hope, was filled with relaxation and quality time with your family and friends.
As we begin this new school year, we will continue to focus on Continuous Improvement in Literacy and Numeracy while attempting to close the achievement gap amongst our Indigenous and English as an Additional Language Learners.
Our primary focus this year will continue to be based around:
- Responding to Diversity: to effectively utilize system supports through the Response to Intervention Framework; and
- Best Practices: to increase consistency in the implementation of divisionally identified and prioritized best practices in literacy and numeracy.
To assist us with this plan, we will be hosting a two day Professional Development session for our staff in September with presenters from Solution Tree, to deeper our own understanding of the Response to Intervention (RTI) Framework to identify needs and support ALL of our students in their learning.
Click Here For More Information Related To Our Continuous Improvement Plan
With this, you will continue to see changes within the Brandon School Division as we work towards our core Ultimate Outcomes:
- Improved Literacy Achievement
- Improved Numeracy Achievement
- Decreased Indigenous Achievement Gap
- Decreased English as an Additional Language Achievement Gap
One of the key aspects that drove the development of this plan, was a quote written by two researchers who noted that:
"The effective school (Division) is characterized by high overall student achievement with no significant gaps in that achievement across the major subgroups in the student population."
Lezotte, L. W., & Snyder, K. M. (2011)
We're excited to see where this work will take us throughout this school year and into the years to come.
We wish you all the greatest success throughout the year!
Dr. Marc D. Casavant