The following information outlines the consultation process within Brandon School Division. Please see Administrative Procedure 1020 for further details.
Definition of consultation:
· Consultation is a process which involves interaction between decision makers and those affected by the decisions.
· It promotes a two-way flow of information and ideas to arrive at better solutions.
· It supports more effective implementation of policy and programs.
· The process will optimize the opportunity for educational and community partners to provide input within the established timeframe.
Criteria for consultation:
The Board of Trustees or the Division undertakes consultation if and when:
· the constituency may be affected significantly by the decision;
· the decision may be controversial;
· the decision making process could benefit from a widespread exchange of information;
· the required decision is value based and/or subjective in nature.
Goals of the consultation process:
· To stay focused on the best interests of the students.
· For all parties to understand the processes and have a basic commitment to them.
· To commence the process when the issue or matter being considered is identified.
· Promote trust and open-mindedness.
What the Brandon School Division Board of Trustees hopes to gain through the consultation process:
· Two-way communication.
· Joint ownership.
· Enhanced solutions, goals and policy directions.
· Channel the maximum number of interests into a common direction.
· Provide specific timelines showing each stage of the process.
· Detail limitations on the process in both scope and time.
· The consultation process to be utilized.
· Background information that is timely and comprehensive (Web site & Media).
· Opportunities provided for input, feedback, and dialogue.
Click on a Link to the Left to View Consultation Information.