May 2, 2019
Construction at Maryland Park School is currently running on schedule. At the corner of Maryland Avenue and Ninth Street, just a few quick steps away from Crocus Plains Regional Secondary School, the new 65,660 square foot school will welcome 450 students (with ability to expand to a capacity of 675 students) in September 2020, and will also include:
· a child care centre for 20 infants and 54 pre-school children;
· 40 nursery school spaces;
· 14 regular classrooms and kindergarten rooms with dedicated art, band and science rooms;
· a Science, Technology, Electronics and Math (STEM) lab;
· a life-skills and resource teaching and guidance suites, and an English as an Additional Language Room;
· a library and gymnasium;
· a home-economics lab; and
· an industrial arts (manufacturing/construction) shop.
On Thursday, April 25, 2019, the official "ground breaking" ceremony was held on the site. Those in attendance included: Len Isleifson, MLA for Brandon East, Premier Brian Pallister, Brandon's Mayor, Rick Chrest, our Board Chair, Dr. Linda Ross and Parent Council Representative from Meadows School, Amy Grift.
"The people of Brandon applaud the province for making the right decision in investing in a new school for Brandon," said Dr. Linda Ross, Chairperson, Board of Trustees, Brandon School Division. "I would like to further acknowledge the efforts of Brandon's MLAs as well as those of City Council and the Brandon community at large in advocating for this much needed new educational facility. Students living in this newly developed area of Brandon South will have the community school they deserve, and current pressures on capacity in Kindergarten to Grade 8 schools across Brandon will be alleviated."