Old Central School, built in 1882, was the first school established in Brandon. Situated on the one hundred block on Tenth Street, this two-story building reached its maximum student capacity by 1888. To make room for the student population, the school board rented Knox Presbyterian Hall for $15 a month. After 15 years of trying to satisfy the demands of the growing population, the school board decided to sell Old Central School and make an addition to West Ward School, which was built in 1895. While this historic building is still standing, it has a new look and is now known as the Strathcona Block. The Old Central School's original bell, which was used as a centennial project years later, is now located at the Brandon School Division Office on 6th Street.