Chairmen of the Brandon School Board
|1882 - W. Winter|
1884 - Thomas Lockhart
1885 - Sheriff S. Clement
1886 - John A. Christie
1887 - John Russell
1888-1889 - Sheriff A. Clement
1890-1899 - John A. Christie
1900 - Robert Darrach
1902-03 - William M. Alexander
1904-05 - Robert M. Matheson
1906-07 - John A. MacDonald
1908-09 - A. D. Rankin
1910 - H. Simpson
1911 - David Sherriff
1912-13 - John S. Maxwell
1914-15 - Jos. Cronell
1916-17 - Dr. John S. Matheson
1917-18 - David M. Creighton
1919-20 - Dr. A.T. Condell
1921-23 - George A. Fitton
1924-25 - Dr. John S Matheson
1925-26 - W.N. Sutherland
1926-27 - Robet J. Bullard
1928-29 - John Popkin
1930-31 - Dr. John S. Matheson
1932-56 - George A. Fitton
1957-58 - G.P. Sutherland
1959-60 - E.C. Gorrie
1961-63 - A.C. Hamilton
1964-70 - K.J. Burgess
1971-73 - A. Lindenberg
1974-80 - Mr. G.T. Williams
1980-81 - Mr. K.G. Knight
1982-83 - Mr. G.T. Williams
1984-86 - Mrs. M.G. Murray
1986-89 - Mr. L.J. Clermont
1990-92 - Mr. G.B. Sefton
1992-93 - Mrs. L. Morling
1993-95 - Mrs. L. Fjeldsted
1995-98 - Mr. D. Paterson
1998-2002 - Mr. J. Murray
2002-2003 - Mrs. H. Boles
2003-2004 - C. Burke
2004-2005 - H. Boles
2005-2006 - J. Murray
2006-2007 - J. Murray
2007-2008 - J. Murray
2008-2009 - J. Murray
2009-2010 - G. Buri
2010-2011 - J. Murray
2011-2012 - M. Sefton
2012-2013 - M. Sefton
2013-2014 - M. Sefton
2014-2015 - M. Sefton
2015-2016 - M. Sefton
2016-2017 - K. Sumner
2017-2018 - L. Ross
2018-2019 - L. Ross
2019-2020 - L. Ross
2020-2021 - L. Ross
1893 - 1908 - A.S. Rose
1908 - 1922 - A. White
1922 - 1924 - C.W. Webb
1924 - 1950 - T.A. Neelin
1950 - 1956 - H.G Wedge
C. Bjarnason. Teacher September 1941 - December 1942 when he enlisted. Returned September 1945-46. LOA in 1946-47. Teacher at Collegiate September 1948 - August 1954. Principal of McLaren School September 1954 - June 1956. Superintendent 1956 - 1960. Superintendent of Division 40 (High School) 1960 - 1964. LOA 1964-65, Superintendent Div. 40 (High School) 1956-66 (19.5 years).
J.J. Hill. Teacher 1938 - 1941; RCAF Leave 1941 - 1946; Principal 1946 - 1960; Superintendent 1960 - 1971; Principal 1971 - 1976. 40 years, 6 months. bullet
J.L. Milne, Superintendents September 1968 - August 31, 1971 (3 years) - Teacher September 1961 - June 1967 (6 years) - 31 year
Long Serving Employees
- George Fitton, Trustee, January 5, 1916 - 1957 (death) - 41 years.
- T.A. Neelin, Superintendent Sept. 1, 1924 - Sept 1, 1950 - 26 years.
- J.L. Milne, Superintendent Sept. 1971 - Sept. 1993 (22 years), Assistant Superintendent September 1968 - August 31, 1971 (3years) - Teacher September 1961 - 1967 (6 years) - 31 years.
- D.J. Cornell, Secretary - Treasurer 1968 - 2000 (32 years).
- Lilly Harrison resigned June 30, 1958 having served as as teacher for a total of 44 years. Her career with Brandon schools started in 1907 and was interspersed with many breaks as she raised a family. Her pay in 1908 was $65.00 a month.
- George Warren was the first custodian of Brandon Collegiate (opened September 1892), a position he held for almost thirty years.
- Charlotte Brown, Sept. 1956 - June 30, 2000. She served from Sept. 1963 to retirement at Green Acres School.
- Gerry Sproule, Maintenance Staff, July 1, 1956 - Feb. 9, 1996. He was also employed on casual staff from 1953-56.
Chronological History Notes
- Morley Sparrow is the principal of the soon to be completed Harrison High.
- Other Principals at this time:
- Gordon Frazer, Brandon Collegiate Institute
- R.J. Coates, Central
- J.S. Oliver, Earl Haig
- On June 30th, 3,000 youngsters in a public reception at the Wheat City arena greeted the Governor General and Mme. Vanier. The students were granted a one-day holiday from school.
- A single board was established March 20th.
- Official opening of Valleyview School was on March 22nd.
- Division #40 was declared a Division with election of "new" trustees on March 31st.
- Carl Bjarnason resigned as School Superintendent of Division #40.
- Gordon Sefton was appointed Principal of Neelin High School.
- Bob Swayze started as the Assistant Superintendent.
- Alexandra School closed on June 7th.
- Crocus Plains Regional Secondary School opened February 15th.
- The School Board announced that the school under construction at 12th and Van Horne would be named in honour of former division staff member Betty Gibson.
- Administration appointments:
- Malcolm Cornish Vice-Principal of Vincent Massey.
- John Keogh Principal of Neelin.
- Harold Jonasson Principal of Valleyview.
- Barry Diller Vice-Principal of New Era.
- Green Acres School officially opens.
- On April 19th, the Brandon School Board officially opened the Division's new administration offices on 6th Street.
- The Brandon School Division proceeded with a 100-minute per day French Immersion program at both Riverheights and Riverview.
- On December 20th, Riverheights was officially opened.
- There are approximately 375 employees in the Division and a 1981 salaries cost budget at 12.7 million.
Brandon's first school teacher was Thomas Lamont.
In 1893 the Board appointed its first Superintendent, Mr. A.S. Rose.
James Kirkcaldy, an early police chief and later a hotelier and prominent businessman, was honoured by having the city's north hill area, and consequently Kirkcaldy Heights School, named after him.
George A. Fitton was chairman of the school board from the late 1940's until his death in 1956. He was a strong believer in children, convinced that youngsters were Brandon's greatest asset. Today, George Fitton School pays tribute to this memory.
Several life-time educators in Brandon schools were also recognized on local nameplates. T.A. Neelin (Neelin High School) was a principal for a number of years, and school superintendent in the 1940's; J.R. Reid School came from a 25-year BCI Principal; and Lillian Harrison (Harrison Junior High) was a long-time and well-liked teacher.
Famous names grace two local schools. Vincent Massey High School sprang from Canada's first native-born governor general, and David Livingstone is for the world-renowned missionary and explorer.
Earl Oxford School was named after royalty, as was King George School, which opened in 1911, the coronation year of King George V. The original building was demolished in 1979, but at the insistence of the east-end residents, the name lives on in the new school.
Green Acres, Riverheights, and Meadows schools are named after the subdivision in which they are located. Linden Lanes, Riverview, and Valleyview schools also describe the nearby scenery.